Tuesday, August 30, 2011

New year, new class, new school, new city, NEW EVERYTHING!

A couple weeks I started in Murray School District. I was pretty nervous. I have never worked in another district besides Provo, and I wasn't sure what to expect. I already knew the technology would be lacking, and technology is what I love about special education. There are so many fun things you can do with it in a classroom! And, let's be honest, I got really used to the luxury of having it available!

After a few days of new teacher meetings, (I had to start all over, I still get my years in some respects but as far as PTO and Sick days,- a provisional three years. Boo!)

I met a few people on my new team, and fell in love! I love working with people who know how to get the job done, yet can have a fun time and laugh along the way. I work best under those conditions!

I was able to set up my room with the help of the fabulous lover boy that is my husband. It was a bit of a rush, but we got it done!

On Friday 2 weeks ago, I had 7th graders. Oh boy. So cute, so little! Such dolls! A few toughies, but nothing this pro can't handle! (Ha!) We only had 4 that day and I was covered in sweat, curtousy of no AC and chasing around kids constantly. It is a hard transition to Jr. High!

I had the weekend to recover, but Monday brought the 8th and 9th graders. They were just as cute and fun, and not as difficult! Tuesday was all grades, and we had a few accidents and injuries. All was well, and I was shocked by the amount of support I had and the various amounts of people who came to check on us!

I am loving Murray and Riverview Jr. High so far! Everyone has been so welcoming, and I am thrilled to be working with Severe/Profound students. They have such a sweet, special spirit about them. It is such a blessing to be able to work with kids that you know have a ticket straight to heaven! I hope that I can be all that they need, understand them, love them, and most of all, I want them to know how much I love them and care for them. It is truly a blessing to have this job. I hear a lot of, "Oh, you are going to Heaven!" "What a talent you have!" "You must have so much patience!" "You will be blessed for doing this work!" - I agree with the last statement. I am blessed. Maybe not for the reasons one might think, but I truly feel rewarded every day. The smiles, hugs, and small progress bring so much joy to my life. I can truly say I love my job! Who else can say that? :)
There she be! Can't wait for those spring blossoms to reappear!

1 comment:

Tara Nelson said...

Those children are so blessed to have you..... It's so exciting to hear about your teaching....