Thursday, September 8, 2011

Analogies

My husband thinks I am smart.


Like, super smart. And he thought this was great.


I was writing my brother Jason, who is on a mission in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida for our church.


I had a pretty eventful day on Tuesday at work. I ended up having physical altercations with three of my students. Hey- coming back from a three day weekend is TOUGH! I won't go into the details, since the nature of my job is private, but I had three sad kiddos. There was hitting, kicking, biting, scratching and bruising, and I was the punching bag for their frustrations. Hey- it's what I'm paid to do!


Anyways, in the letter, I was trying to connect my life to Jason's life in the field. I wanted to give him an anaolgy. Several people that day kept asking me if I was okay. "Are you mad?" "Are you hurt?" "Don't you just hate your job?" No. The answer is simply no. I LOVE my job. This is where the analogy comes in.


Just like missionaries, you are thrown into a new place (for me, new school) with people you don't know.Yet somehow, Heavenly Father gives us the ability to TRULY love those people. I never quite understood how missionaries could love people they didn't know very well. Well, now I do. I barely know my students. Yet, I love them more than anything. I can truly say that I feel such a strong love for them, much like a parent would to a child. They are mine, and I love them.






So how does this relate?


I belive that when you are doing exactly what the lord wants you to do, and you are where he wants you to be, you are blessed with that ability to love. This gift helps me get through the hard times. I am where I am supposed to be, so he is taking care of me. Of us.


Along with that, these are some of the most innocent creatures on the planet. I know now how Heavelny Father can love us unconditionally. We may do silly things, like hit, bite, kick and scream, but he remains calm, loves us through it, and picks us up when we are done, feelings unchanged. Am I comparing my self to him?




ABSOLUTELY NOT.


I am simply saying I GET IT. I have learned this lesson. I hope I pass the test.

2 comments:

Tara Nelson said...

Alicia, that was a great post and something that I needed to be reminded of. Thank you for a great way to start my day!

Potters said...

You're amazing Alicia :) I miss you....This is just what I needed.